Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Library Orientation

As mentioned in a previous post this is my first year at a new school, but my 10th year as a librarian.  I spent the summer changing my new library into a completely different space.  I enlisted the help my dear friend and fellow librarian Tricia and we got to work! We reworked the space, moving shelves and tables, weeding books and moving EVERY single book in the library to a new location...sometimes more than once and with some very unfriendly book carts I might add!

As the beginning of the year approached I knew all these changes and also my way of doing things in the library was going to give my students a lot to take in when they came to the library for the first time.  I wanted my students to know from day one what they could expect from me, what I expected from them and also what to expect from the library overall.

I created this Slide Deck to share with students at the beginning of the year.  Of course my mini me had to make an appearance! If you aren't using Bitmoji in your library  you need to start NOW!




This is obviously specific to my library and my way of doing things.  As mentioned some things are subject to change throughout the year based on what is working or not working for my students. If there is time we may play a four corners type of game called Sections of the Library, which the kids love and it get them moving!

I want to know how you orient your students to the library?



No comments:

Post a Comment